Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Easy Appetizer - Caprese Bites

I am always looking for quick and tasty appetizers to serve when I have guests over! These caprese bites are not only yummy, but they are also a bright pop of color! This appetizer always reminds me of ripe Jersey tomatoes in the summer! The tomatoes are the most important part of this dish! The ones below were picked fresh from my garden!



Caprese Bites
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
1 pint fresh mozzarella balls
1 c. loosely packed fresh basil
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. dry basil
1/8 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
toothpicks or appetizer picks

In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Whisk in honey and spices. Pour dressing mixture onto serving platter and set aside.

Half the tomatoes and mozzarella balls, and remove the basil leaves from the vine. With the toothpicks spear the tomato, add one basil leaf (it works best if you fold in half), and finally add the mozz.

Chop a few basil leaves into long strips. Arrange bites on platter on top of dressing mixture and sprinkle with chopped basil.

Enjoy!



*please note my variation of the recipe did not use fresh basil, I used dried, because that was what I had on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment