Thursday, December 1, 2011

Warm your Tummy with Turkey Chili

As a kid, I never liked chili...as an adult, I have perfected it. This is an easy one pot recipe that will be sure to produce smiling faces! I love food with flavor! I am inclined to write 'palm' versus tablespoon, because that is how my Dad taught me to cook...but for those of you who need specific measurements, I will keep it simple.

Turkey Chili
1 tsp. olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 c. frozen corn
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. hot sauce (or more...)
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese
sour creme

In a large pot on medium low heat, add olive oil and sautee onions and green pepper; add minced garlic and continue to sautee. Be sure that the heat is not too high so the garlic does not burn. Once onions are see through, add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer on low for an hour. Top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour creme. Serve with crusty bread or cornbread for extra yumminess!

1 comment: